Did you know you can turn your backyard into a wildlife habitat? Yes, it is pretty neat, and I have already had my backyard certified as a wildlife habitat. Here is what a backyard wildlife habitat should include, according to The National Wildlife Federation’s Garden for Wildlife Program at http://www.nwf.org/garden-for-wildlife/create.aspx.
Turn your backyard into a wildlife habitat
- Food: Native plants provide nectar, seeds, nuts, fruits, berries, foliage, pollen and insects eaten by an exciting variety of wildlife. Feeders can supplement natural food sources.
- Water: All animals need water to survive and some need it for bathing or breeding as well.
- Cover: Wildlife needs places to find shelter from bad weather and places to hide from predators or stalk prey.
- Places to Raise Young: Wildlife needs resources to reproduce and keep their species going. Some species have totally different habitat needs in their juvenile phase than they do as adults.
- Sustainable Practices: How you manage your garden can have an effect on the health of the soil, air, water and habitat for native wildlife as well as the human community.
Why turn your backyard into a wildlife habitat?
Unfortunately, we have destroyed local habitats for all kinds of wildlife not to mention what we have done to the planet on a global scale. While it seems like they would not do much for nature and the environment, backyard wildlife habitats are great, as many creatures that benefit from them are struggling from habitat loss in general. When you turn your backyard into a wildlife habitat, you provide food and shelter for birds, bats, bees, butterflies, turtles, frogs and more.
A backyard is not an isolated ecosystem. It is connected to many other habitats, so why not make it a wildlife sanctuary? You can even make it official like I did with my backyard and register it at http://www.nwf.org/How-to-Help/Garden-for-Wildlife/Create-a-Habitat.aspx.
Have questions? Call Heidelberg Farms at (603) 501-9919. We will discuss any of these steps and guide you through the process. Happy 2017. Let’s change the world!